With President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, the temporary incentives for adding solar to your home have become 10-year guarantees. The time has never been better to consider putting solar panels on your home.
There are many reasons people are choosing to add solar to their energy portfolio.
First, the sun is a free source of electricity. This means that every homeowner can anticipate a noticeable drop and their electrical bills. Many homeowners can see a time in the near future where their savings pay for installation of solar meaning that it is also a good investment.
Second, federal incentives to move to solar have never been higher. Also, they have never been guaranteed for 10 years. This means that the financial incentives can’t be yanked out from under a homeowner by a future administration.
Third, increases in the efficiency of solar panels means that even people who live in Northern latitudes can benefit from solar panels.
There are several steps to deciding on and installing solar panels at your house. Some of them are simple. Some of them are challenging and likely require professional help.
- Check an online or automated solar power generation resource to see if your house is a good candidate. This assessment includes not just the latitude and longitude of your house, but also the angle and direction of the pitch of your roof.
- Visit the many government online resources, like this one, to determine the steps you will need to take to properly install solar panels.
- Choose the best route to solar. For some people, this will mean switching to an electric company that uses solar power. For others, it can mean installing panels on your roof.
- Research available incentives, and find the right installer for your panels. Be sure to check the BBB and other resources to determine the right company. Every company has had complaints, but the true measure is whether they responded professionally to the complaints and made needed corrections.
- Work with your electric company and a reputable electrician, preferably one with a long track record of experience in your community, to prep you home for the installation. This will require special batteries, transformers, and even a way to sell energy back to the grid (this is where you can turn your savings into income in many areas.)
- Choose an installer and schedule the work, then sit back and enjoy. Installing solar panels on a roof is a job for professionals with the right equipment. Few home handymen have the experience and skills to safely complete this installation. It’s okay – the savings will pay for this too!